You’d agree with me that avascular necrosis pain is bone wrecking. As in, the deep bone pain that wakes you in the middle of the night, screaming discomfort and ache into your body.
Avascular necrosis can affect joints in the body, joints like shoulder, knee, and hip. But the hip is mostly affected especially when it is caused by sickle cell disorder.
About 70% of people living with sickle cell disorder suffers from avascular necrosis of the hip either on one hip or both hips. Avascular necrosis of the hip becomes more painful and is capable of disabling an individual as the bone degeneration progresses.
In this article, I have complied three exercises that can help ease avascular necrosis pain and improves mobility of the joints.
1. Leg raises
Leg raises are effective in easing avascular necrosis pain as it helps easy flow of blood to the hip(s). It is also good for the lower back pain, it eases lower back pain.
Although, you might find it uncomfortable raising your legs but a little push will do, follow these steps.
- Lie flat on your back with your legs straight and placed together
- Tighten your core and gear yourself
- Slowly raise your legs while keeping them straight and together, until your butt is off the ground.
- Then slowly lower your legs back to the ground and repeat.
- You might not be able to lift both legs, it is okay to lift one after another.
- At whatever point you feel pain, it is advisable to stop
- Take it slow, go at your pace.
2. Leg stretches
There is no exercise that keeps you flexible than stretches. Leg stretches have different variations that can bring the same results. One of its variations is the stretching in and out that helps blood flow to the hip and when there is blood in the hip, pain is reduced or absent.
- Stand straight on a leg, preferably the leg without avascular necrosis
- Slowly stretch the other leg forward until you can’t anymore
- Take it backward slowly until it can’t go anymore
- Repeat slowly and keep the momentum for 5-10 swings.
- If both hips are affected by avascular necrosis, take one leg at a time. Place one on the floor while resting on something to avoid too much weight and stretch the other slowly.
- You can add more to it by stretching your leg outward, hold it for seconds and bring it back inwards.
You might also like;
Avascular necrosis of the hip can cause back pain that are unbearable. Bridges help to ease back pain and hip pain.
- Lie flat on your back, face up, knees bent, feet flat on the ground.
- Place your hands flat at your side
- Lift your hip off the ground until your knees, hips and shoulders form a straight line
- Hold the position for 10-20 seconds before easing yourself back down.
- Tighten your core and squeeze your butt once your hip is off the ground.
- Be sure to so it right, if you feel any discomfort, you should stop.
Consistency is key for anything including the above exercises. Keep at it, take your time and go at your own pace and you’ll realize that your avascular necrosis pain has reduced.